US State Department: those responsible for the attack in northern Iraq will be held accountable

The United States will take steps to bring to justice the group behind the missile attack in northern Iraq that killed one person and injured nine others, including a US soldier. This, according to Reuters, said on Wednesday Ned Price, a spokesman for the State Department.

Speaking at a press briefing at the State Department, Price warned that “any faction responsible for this attack will have to deal with the consequences.”

The missile attack was carried out on Monday evening in the vicinity of Erbil airport and a nearby military base in northern Iraq, which houses US troops. The shelling killed one foreign civilian contractor and wounded at least nine people, including one US soldier.

Responsibility for the attack was claimed by the Sarayya Awliya al-Dam group, which, according to the Iraqi authorities, enjoys the support of Iran. Local authorities are investigating to find out who carried out the attack.

During the briefing, Ned Price also said that the United States and its allies called on Iran to abandon actions that could negatively affect Tehran’s commitments to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA). Iranian authorities have previously announced that Tehran will prohibit inspections of its nuclear facilities by representatives of the UN Nuclear Security Service.

Price added that Secretary of State Anthony Blinken is set to discuss Iran-related issues in a virtual meeting with his counterparts from the UK, France and Germany. In addition, Blinken will host a virtual summit on Thursday with the foreign ministers of Japan, Australia and India, Ned Price said.

Leave a Comment