The administration of US President Donald Trump is not going to renew the Treaty on Measures to Further Reduce and Limit Strategic Offensive Arms (START) in its current form.
This was stated by the US President’s Special Representative for Arms Control Marshall Billingsley during a conversation with experts from the Defense Fund for Democracies.
The speech was posted on the organization’s website on Wednesday evening.
“We are not interested in simply extending the Treaty on Measures to Further Reduce and Limit Strategic Offensive Arms. This treaty, as I said, barely passed in the Senate,” Billingsley said. “The reason is that this is a bad deal for the United States. The agreement covers 90 % of American arsenals and at the same time only 40% of Russian arsenals. “
To extend the treaty, the United States will insist that it cover all Russian systems that are currently excluded from it.
“We explained to the Russians that we are not going to make our NATO allies vulnerable, we are not going to endanger American citizens living in Europe,” Billingsley said.
The Trump administration has previously proposed expanding the number of parties to the treaty to include China, but Beijing has rejected the idea.
US President-elect Joseph Biden during the election campaign advocated the extension of the current agreement.
The START Treaty will expire on February 5, 2021.