Litigation in Nevada court for stopping the counting of ballots sent by mail in the Las Vegas constituency has ended after the state Supreme Court rejected an appeal by Donald Trump’s campaign headquarters and the local branch of the Republican Party at the request of the plaintiffs themselves.
Two more lawsuits related to the 2020 presidential election are pending in Nevada. The final results of the elections in the state have not been summed up, since a small number of ballots not yet taken into account have not been counted.
Trump’s headquarters and the GOP attempted to withdraw an appeal from a Nevada court by submitting a document last week that said it had entered into a settlement agreement with the Clark County electoral committee to allow more observers to attend the ballot processing center.
However, the agreement was not signed by all the parties named in the claim as defendants. The lawsuit was filed against the Democratic Party as a whole, as well as against the Nevada Democratic Secession, the Nevada Secretary of State and the Clark County Voter Registration Bureau.
Trump’s Nevada campaign spokesman Adam Laxult has yet to comment on reports of the withdrawal of the appeal.
The appellants attempted to challenge the ruling of Carson City Judge James Wilson Jr., who ruled on November 2 that neither the state nor Clark County attempted to prioritize votes cast in favor of one candidate.
November 19 is the deadline for filing a lawsuit in federal court on another charge brought by Trump and the Republicans, who claim that in Las Vegas the voting was marked by voters who were not eligible to vote. The date for the first hearing of this claim has yet to be set.
Last Friday, District Judge Andrew Gordon refused to issue an order to immediately stop counting ballots received by mail from voters from Las Vegas and neighboring Clark County, the main stronghold of Democrats in Nevada, which is a largely Republican state.
The judge noted that the Nevada Supreme Court is currently considering the appeal filed by Trump and the Republicans, saying that he would not want to interfere with the matter “causing serious concern to the state authorities related to state laws that should be interpreted by the courts of Nevada.”
Among the witnesses presented by the plaintiffs was a woman who said that on November 3 she tried to vote in person, but the polling station reported that a ballot paper with her signature had already been received; and a political strategist who said he was denied the opportunity to observe the counting of ballots on the night of the elections.
In another lawsuit filed in a Nevada state court, a judge set November 20 as the deadline for the Clark County Voter Registry Office to provide Trump headquarters and Republicans with information on the names, party affiliations, work schedules, and job responsibilities of more than 300 people hired to counting ballots.
The counting of votes in Nevada is due to end on Thursday. State election officials said there were more than 1.3 million ballots cast in Nevada in total.
During a telephone conversation with reporters organized by the Voter Protection Program, Democratic attorneys general Aaron Ford of Nevada and Dana Nessel of Michigan said that lawsuits questioning the results of elections in their states were unfounded.
Ford has called the people spreading reports of fraud as “saboteurs”, accusing them of trying to undermine the credibility of the democratic process.
“There is no evidence of large-scale fraud or wrongdoing, and no amount of publicity stratagem and litigation will change that fact,” Ford said.