The second and final debate of the US presidential candidates will be held under new rules, introduced so that participants do not interrupt each other.
President Donald Trump expressed dissatisfaction with the overall organization, telling reporters that while he believes it is “very unfair,” he will still take part in the debate in Nashville, Tennessee on Thursday.
“I will take part, but it’s very unfair that they changed the topic, and it’s very unfair that we will again have a presenter who is absolutely biased,” he said.
The debate will be moderated by NBC journalist Kristen Welker.
She has chosen the fight against COVID-19, American families, American racial issues, climate change, national security and leadership as topics for debate between Trump and his Democratic rival Joe Biden.
On Monday, Trump’s headquarters said the debate needed to pay more attention to international issues.
Biden’s headquarters said Trump wants to avoid a discussion about how his administration has responded to the coronavirus pandemic, and noted that the parties agreed that moderators can determine topics for debate.
“As usual, the president is more concerned with the rules of the debate than providing the necessary assistance to a country in crisis,” said Biden’s spokesman T.J. Daklo.
To avoid chaos during the discussion, the debate committee decided to introduce a mute button for a candidate who should not be speaking at the moment.
The first debate of presidential candidates took place in late September, and the second was due to take place earlier this month. However, Trump’s COVID-19 test was positive, and when the Presidential Debate Commission decided to conduct it remotely, the president refused.